Supporting Global Temporary Tables for Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere
6 using PowerDesigner 7 or 8
In Sybase ASA 6, support for Global Temporary Tables was added.
PowerDesigner does not have built in support for this feature, but it can
be implemented via changes in the XDB file and the use of Extended Attributes.
For an overview of how to use PowerDesigner Extended Attributes see one
of the following Technical Documents.
Tapping the power of
PowerDesigner 7.x Extended Attributes
Tapping the power
of PowerDesigner 8.0 Extended Attributes
1) Create a new DBMS file
- Select Tools>Resources>DBMS
- Select the "new" icon to create a new DBMS file
and give it a name such as Sybase AS Anywhere 6 Extended
- Select Sybase AS Anywhere 6 in the "Copy from"
drop down listbox
- Click OK
2) In the new XDB add a new Extended Attribute Type
- Expand the Extended Attributes node
- Right-click on Extended Attributes>Types and select
New> Extended Attribute Types
- Expand Types and select the newly created Extended
- Rename the Type to True/False
- Add two values True and False and set the default
3) Add a new Extended Attribute
- Right-click on Extended Attributes>Objects, select
Add Items and select Table
- Right-click on Extended Attributes>Objects>Table
and select New>Extended Attribute
- Expand Table and select the newly created Extended
- Rename the Extended Attribute to GlobalTemp
- Under Data Type, select True/False from the drop
- Select False as the Default Value
NOTE: The Extended Attribute name will be used as a variable in the
Create Table section. This variable name is case sensitive.
4) Modify the Create Table syntax
The following syntax must be added to the Create
name%=True? global temporary]
In this example, the variable name = GlobalTemp
- Select the Create Item under Script>Objects>Table
- In the Value block, insert [%GlobalTemp%=True?
global temporary] between create and table.
Sample code for Create Item:
create [%GlobalTemp%=True? global temporary] table [%QUALIFIER%]%TABLE%
5) Click OK
6) Save the new XDB file in the \\program files\PowerDesigner 7\DBMS
directory using a name like sqlany6gt.xdb
To implement the GlobalTemp extended attribute
1) Change the current DBMS to Sybase AS Anywhere 6 Extended
2) Open the Table properties and select the Extended Attributes tab
3) Select the GlobalTemp extended attribute and change the Value to
4) Click OK to apply the changes
5) Open the Table properties and select preview